Posted in: Admin, Board Minutes, Minutes

Board Meeting 19-July-2023

Date: Wednesday, July 19, 2023   Location: Zoom   

Directors and Officers present:  Bruce KO4XL, Jay S N2ELG, Lou K4LA, Jeff K4BH, Mike K8BQ, Bonnie KC2JVS, George WA2VNV

Members present: None

President Bruce KO4XL, called the meeting to order at 6:12 pm local.

President’s Report: Bruce KO4XL

Bruce reported that the new A/C appears to be working well. He has scheduled a subscription for replacement air filters.

Secretary’s Report: Mike K8BQ

George moved to accept the minutes for the June 21 Board meeting as posted, Lou seconded the motion. The motion carried.

There was a discussion on holding a live meeting in September at the West Boca library where we used to meet. Looking to try a hybrid meeting. The Board agreed that we should do this.

Current membership is 185

Treasurer’s Report: Bonnie KC2JVS

Cash Flow July 19, 2023

December 31,2022 Available Balance $9096.26
June 30, 2023 Available Balance $14,128.39
July 19, 2023 Available Balance $10,558.51

Income: $4,709.34
Income includes $137.62 in memberships, $500 for Atwater Kent radios, and $4,071.72 for air
conditioner fund

Expenses: $8279.22
Expenses include$126 for two rolls of stamps purchased before rate increase, $7,800 for new air
conditioner, $53.22 for filter, and $300 for bee removal
Not included: $ $370.19 quote for director’s insurance
Above amounts include reserve funds of $5,000

Lou volunteered to review director’s insurance requirements and changes.

Need to close up under the Shack where the bees were.

Discussion of how much reserve we need to keep based on risks and other projects we need to do.

Membership Chair: Henry WA2ROA is not present, but we need to choose a date for the August lunch. Looking at El Balcon De Las Americas on Glades. Best choice is August 19 to avoid conflict with the end of month Board meeting.

Member at Large: Jay S N2ELG

We need donations of ham related equipment for the auction. We have a bunch of computers, speakers and other non-radio stuff. He rearranged the placement of the toolbox to get it out of the way. Bruce noted the bookshelf under the TV was falling apart. Barry took measurements and is building a new bookcase to replace it.

Member at Large: Jeff S K4BH

There is a new club in Broward County, the Parrot ARC. Currently in hurricane season, be prepared. Having inquiries about BRARA training and testing.  Broward clubs are discussing a testing consortium. BRARA might be open to joining a group like that. Discussion about what VEC to use. It would be desirable that they accept each other’s credentials to make it easy to get VEs.

Member at Large: George WA2VNV

We need to look at the Shack roof to be sure it is sound. Rick K1DS made the ARRL Club News working FD with his old club in Providence, RI. We need to lube the tower cable. Recommend using Belray motorcycle chain lube. APRS radio is in the Shack waiting for a power supply.

Member at Large: Lou K4LA

Quick aside that we may need to do certain notices in other languages. We need to get back to the survey responses from the membership. Bruce said we should schedule for the mid-month Board meeting. Discussion on signs for video surveillance system on the door and gate, Not a legal requirement. Will leave it alone for now.

Old Business

Satellite System – we have the fiberglass rod required for the antenna. Jan is working on controllers for the rotator.

Generator Conversion – Mike reported that it is ready for pickup. Cost is $165.00. Should wait until this one is tested before doing the other one.

July End of Month BOD Meeting is scheduled for July 29. Scheduled lunch conflicts with BOD meeting. Jeff S moved to cancel the 7/29 BOD meeting. Jay S seconded the motion. The motion carried.

New Business

We need someone to cover for Bruce when he is away and will miss meetings.

Bruce is looking to build active headphone splitters as a club project.

We should go back to having a monthly maintenance day on the last Wednesday of the month.

We are still looking for a webmaster. Mike is able to do some minimal support.

Holiday party – if we want something like Maggianos, members will have to pay in advance.

Recruiting – library presentation? what did Gold Coast do?

Suspending club nets until September

Motion to adjourn by Jay S, seconded by Jeffs S. Meeting adjourned at 7:30 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Mike Greenfeld K8BQ, Secretary