Posted in: Admin, Board Minutes, Minutes

Board Meeting 27-MAR-2021

Date: Saturday-27-Mar-2021   Location: via Zoom   

Directors and Officers Present:  Bruce KO4XL,  Jay S. N2ELG, George WA2NVW, Bonnie KC2JVS, Mike G K8BQ,  Jeff S K4BH, Lou K4LA,  John C N1QFH, Ralph W1DAR

Bruce called the meeting to order at 10:12 am local.

The following items were discussed and actions assigned:


This was a virtual meeting using Zoom. General BOD business was discussed

Previous BOD Minutes

Motion to accept March 10 minutes was made by Jay S, second by Jeff S, carried

Financial Business

    REPORT: Bonnie presented treasurer’s report.

 COMPLETE: Insurance Bonnie has a bill for $833.51. It covers liability for an event. Also covers $20K current value for the building and $20K current value for contents. Could not pay with debit card so the bill was paid by check

   COMPLETE: Bonnie has been set up with PNC Bank at Clint Moore

   COMPLETE: Lou has questions on a couple of expenses to forward to Bonnie. Bonnie answered

COMPLETE: The Audit committee reported they are done except 1 minor item. Patrick did a good job.

    ACTION: John, Bonnie, and Bruce need to get together to create a PayPal Donate button on our website. It now prompts for Call when paying membership via PayPal

Email Tools (update)

 ACTION: John reported we had been seeing a high percentage of bounces lately on MailChimp.  He believes the issue has been corrected.

WEB Report:

ACTION: Several Board members commented that the BRARA web site was somewhat confusing to use. The Board discussed ways to make the UI more user friendly.

COMPLETE: John found and corrected the database problems that occurred when a new member tries to join as an associate without a call sign.



The Shack remains closed. Board regularly reviews the COVID status.

          REPORT: Lou reported that the committee has submitted a final draft of recommendations for reopening. Includes the latest CDC guidance. Preliminary plan is to open to fully vaccinated members. Then Phase 1 and Phase 2.  He asked if any other clubs have a mandatory waiver. It was suggested that we use the April 14 Board meeting to take a deep dive to review the documents and be prepared to vote on them. Lou requested feedback by 4/10

          ACTION: Bruce recommended that the committee look at how we would present this to the club at a general meeting in a way that would be positive.

          ACTION: John.C suggested hiring a cleaning service to do general cleaning in the Shack.  He thought it would cost about $100. He was asked to find someone to suggest.

          ACTION: John.C will examine the filter.  He has checked the filter

ACTION: Bruce will pursue HEPA filter when shack opens

ACTION: John.C will rotate antennas, oil cable, spray the weeds. He has been following up with this. George also took a look at the equipment when in town.


ACTION: Bruce will review entries to determine winners. It was agreed prizes should be nominal – perhaps small stuff from Auction goodies. Maybe a certificate.

         ACTION:  Board will need to find someone besides John to take the lead on both FD and WFD going forward. It was suggested that Grant W4KEK or Myles N4EHG be approached about this


Mike presented the status of payment and renewal activity.

ACTION: Mike to create a targeted renewal email for those who haven’t renewed yet.


Grant said that that he could help organize remote testing. It was recommended that he contact Jerry, W4BFL who is the club’s testing lead.

           ACTION: Bruce to propose dates for online classes

ACTION: Jay, Jeff.R, Roger, and Al to define DMR curriculum – On hold

ACTION: Bruce will define logistics for future classes – apparently will be Zoom for now


Discussed ongoing club business. Board needs to discuss role backups.

          ACTION: Bruce has received feedback that roll call is too lengthy.  Others like it.  How should it be modified? It was decided that we will publicize the Zoom opening at 6:45 for open discussion with the meeting proper starting at 7:15.  Attendees will be asked to give name, call, and QTH. Board members and officers will also give their reports. The goal is to start the presentation no later than 8.

ACTION: Jeff.S has updated the flyer. He has changed the fonts. Waiting on input

ACTION: Mike and Bonnie will need Shack and Gate keys

ACTION: Need to check legacy key inventory. – Information on who should have keys is on the legacy site per John C.

           ACTION: Officer’s and Director’s insurance. Bonnie will contact agent to get pricing

ACTION: Board will continue member good and welfare checks

          COMPLETE: Mike to draft a letter with the slate of officers for PNC Bank if needed.

ACTION: It was suggested by Lou that “Active Member” was somewhat confusing in the membership summary. It was agreed to change this to “Regular Member”.


Current planned list of presenters is below. Ralph expressed some concern about being able to come up with speakers. It was agreed that the Board will feed him suggestions and he would serve as the coordinator.

  • April: Ralph will do a presentation on his stealthy antenna
  • May 4: Ed Callaway
  • June 1: Rich Lidisky
  • July 4: Bruce – 3D printing
  • August 3: Seth Taylor


A committee was created for the next auction. Date will be April 17 at 2pm.  Bruce will be auctioneer, Mike recorder, John C and Jay S will be gatekeepers and go through the stuff in the shack.

ACTION: Auction committee will go through the shed. John and Jay will tag and photograph the goodies.

ACTION: Jay will continue reviving laptops and desktops

THE SHACK (new items)

         ACTION: George suggested to reactivate camera and DVR to monitor the shack. Jerry Z can check it out. Jerry found a fried hard drive in the security system. Bruce will give him a new one. Will get a WD “purple drive” rated for continuous duty estimated cost $100.

         ACTION: Jerry to re-key storage room locks and distribute – On hold

ACTION: Board to coordinate re-keying and station training – On hold

           COMPLETE: Ralph found a replacement lock and had it rekeyed. We needed a replacement B lock.

ACTION: John.C to install dipole lightning protector. – He has the device but needs to install a copper bar tied to the existing one.

ACTION: Board will change shack door combination – On hold

         ACTION: John C said that he would look through the shed a box at a time to see what is worth keeping and what may be used in the next auction.

         ACTION:  John C says that we need to declutter the VHF room

         ACTION: Need to vacuum out the place – will delay major shack clean up until closer to reopening.

         ACTION: Start thinking about Radiator Grill to be held in Fall 2021

Next BOD Zoom meetings:

    • BOD meeting dates:
      • 14-April 6 pm.  Review and discuss the reopening plan
      • 24-April 10 am General meeting and planning

New Business:

John reported that Alan Preuss, W4MGK is a silent key.  His wife, Elaine, expressed an interest in donating his equipment. No information on services yet.

John also announced the next simplex exercise will be May 8

Skywarn class is on both the Blog and the Weekly Blast

Jeff S is renting a hydraulic ladder (bucket truck) that he is willing to split with BRARA if we have some tower work planned.  We would need to see what needs to be done. Jay says he knows a tower climber who might help us too. It was mentioned that we should inspect the cable used to raise and lower the crank up tower and possibly replace it.


No activity

ACTION: John.C and Bruce will finalize and purchase plaques.

ACTION: Bruce will continue with certificate, ARRL brick, ARRL on hold

ACTION: John.C will collect silent key details and pictures


Bruce updated board on status and activity.

ACTION: Bruce will continue to manage

DMR MICROWAVE PROJECT – No current activity

Board reviewed status and current plans.

ACTION: Art, Lew, and Jerry will relocate dish

ACTION: Jerry will address FAU and repeater IP to shack

ACTION: Bruce will check with Jerry on alternate plans

 REMOTE STATION – No current activity

Reviewed status – no change, is dependent on solid IP service to the shack.

 REPEATER STATUS – No current activity

BOD discussed possibility of packet/winlink node, plans, objectives.

ACTION: Bruce and Lew will  update DMR repeater details

ACTION: Art and Lew will continue site repairs as needed

ACTION: Bruce, Robert.E W1ENG, John to configure packet/winlink

 SATELLITE PROJECT – No current activity

ACTION: Relocate fan dipole antenna that may block the satellite system

1-YEAR MEMBERSHIP – No current activity

ACTION: Bruce will send letter when full services restored

AED UPDATE – No current activity

Discussed next steps and status.

ACTION: Bruce will continue linkage with Life Safety Solutions for AED.

 BADGES – No current activity

ACTION: Bruce will pursue alternate badge suppliers

(check with

PROJECTS – Currently on Hold

  • Conduit outside building. Gap exposing wires, rusty outlets. Replace with outdoor conduit after some get their Covid shots
  • Satellite System
  • Repair Ameritron HF Amplifier
  • Acquire AED for The Shack
  • IP FAU-to-Shack
  • Relocate FAU dish at repeater site
  • Cross connect matrix switch

 OTHER ITEMS Currently on Hold

ACTION: John.C is setting up 6 sessions of WordPress training via Zoom. Bruce, Mike, and Bonnie to attend. Probably will slip to March or April

ACTION: Bruce will continue addressing refrigerator repair when able

Adjourn: Motion by John C and seconded by Jay S adjourned at 11:51 am and Zoom ended.

Respectfully submitted

Mike Greenfeld K8BQ/ Secretary