LAST UPDATED: 29-FEB-2020 – 1820 ET
NO MINUTES AVAILABLE
CLICK TO SUBSCRIBE
- General Member Meeting PBC Boca Library 7pm 7-APRIL-2020
- General Class in March
- Satellite tower section and antennas installation
PROJECT NAME: Satellite Antenna Installation (Phase-2)
- PLANNER: George WA2VNV
- WHEN: TBA
- WHERE: The Shack @ West Delray Park
- WHAT: Install tower section, antennas, run coax to shack
- WHO: All able folks who can help
- WHY: Set tower system as Phase-2 of 3 phases for the satellite system
- CONTACT: Email George email@example.com
Now that the tower base is set and the concrete is cured, the tower section and antennas may be assembles and raised.
- Time TBA
- Layout antennas, rotors and all cabling
- Wire these up and test
TRANSCEIVER for Satellite / EME operation needed
Over the past few weeks the satellite tower base has been set and the concrete is curing for another few weeks. The satellite system team of George WA2VNV, Rick K1DS, Roy K4YV, Pablo KK4YK, Michael W2RT, Jay N2ELG and many others have been staging the outside components for assembly.
When this is done, we expect to have a dedicated satellite station in the VHF/UHF room.
One key component we want to ensure is a donation of a reliable satellite capable transceiver.
George WA2VNV has offered to our association one of his ICOM IC-910H satellite transceivers at a very discounted price.
Are you able to donate funds to help pay for the balance of this radio?
Please email Bruce firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help fund this radio.
FOLLOWS ITEM NEEDED
- Power supply (20 amp / 13 volt) for the transceiver
- Up to date computer to support the satellite and EME operation
For the items above, please contact George WA2VNV email@example.com
VHF / UHF Room at The Shack: WEAK SIGNAL STATION
We are looking for donation of an ICOM IC-706-Mk2g to replace the current 6 meter weak signal operation. The current transceiver is intermittent and not repairable.
If you have knowledge of an ICOM IC-706-Mk2g, please contact George WA2VNV by emailing him firstname.lastname@example.org and let him know the details
After a lengthy period of FT8 downtime and thanks to the persistence of Mike W2RT and Grant W2KEK, WSJT-x (FT-8) on both ICOM IC-7600 transceivers at Station-1 and Station-2 are now working normally.
The root cause of the issues causing FT8 not to work properly was a combination of settings on the radios and the computers. These included CAT control and the sound settings for the microphone and speakers plus an assortment of others settings such as VOX. The process to recover these settings are being documented in the event this issue should arise.
Any station operator using WSJT-X (FT8) and the IC-7600 should avoid making any change to the radio or computer settings. Please see one of the Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) or board member for guidance.
BRARA General class
|Register:||By EMAIL to email@example.com|
|Date:||28-MAR-2020 and 4-APR-2020 (over 2 weekends)|
|Time:||From 9am to 5:30pm|
|West Delray Regional Park|
|10875 W Atlantic Ave|
|Delray Beach, FL 33446|
|Food:||bring your own|
|Text Book:||Gordon West General Class 2016-2020|
|Exam:||There will be an exam session on the final afternoon|
Free Laurel VEC Testing
CLICK TO READ MORE
This Month’s Speaker
- March Presenter: George WA2VNV on remote station operation
Ham Shack News
- Station-1 IC-7600 working normally
- Station-1 Amp being repaired
- Station-2 In use, see Larry K4KGG for training
- Station-3 IC-7600 working normally
- Station-3 Yaesu Amp and tuner working normally
- Station-4 FT-1000MP working normally
- Station-4 FT-897 offline
- Station-5 TESTING STATION
- Station-6 Various VHF/UHF radios are working normally
The following are project and watch weekly emails for status
- Satellite TOWER BASE installation COMPLETE
- Satellite ANTENNA and radio installation UNDERWAY
- Install amplifier to the 2m analog repeater COMPLETE
- Shack outside power replacement
- Replace cabinets at repeater site ON-HOLD
- Relocate microwave dish at repeater site
Report (by Ed N4II)
Dx Operating News and Information
CLICK TO READ MORE
The very latest information on DX Operating News, including DXPeditions, DXCC, and QSL information
Contests and Special Events
CLICK TO READ MORE
Looking for upcoming contests and special events from around the world?
New Website Capability
For website security reasons, when you LOG IN to our website or change your CREDENTIALS, you will be asked to CHECK a special anti-robot process. This process helps prevent robotic attacks and cause us to have to address a preventable circumstance.
When you see a request like seen below, please CHECK the box to the left of “I’m not a robot” . Your check event will shake hands with a Google anti-robot service and send back a response.
If you PASS, the box will change to a GREEN CHECK and you may proceed. If the Google anti-robot check process sees a suspect behavior, you may be asked to answer another question. Follow the directions, it’s as easy as ma’s apple pie.
Good luck. Contact me if you have a problem doing this.
A new web enabled tool called Event Registration Wizard has been added to our website. You may access it from the BRARA Menu Bar: Hover on SUPPORT, hover and click on EVENT SIGNUP.
CLICK HERE to try the Wizard.
Public Classified Section is LIVE
Please stay tuned for updates
Please note: items are Negotiable
About Our Members
We honor and remembered our members who have passed
- Keith McPhail K3SKM
- Linda Lindeman N4JNL
- Sidney Gogel W2FUR
- Bob Dobski KB8WJF
- Robert Fox W1VEI
- Myron Goldstein WA2PWJ CLICK FOR OBIT
- Hap Patterson WA4ZLJ CLICK FOR OBIT
We welcome the following new members:
- K2OBM Herbert Burbank
- Associate Steve DiMartino
- KC9HTA Nathan Russell
- KB1VLX Mike Balch
- KM4YOU Greg Bitto
- K4BYB James Cruz
- KO4BKT Alan Friederwitzer
- W1GGG George Garcia
- KF4EZT Kathryn Holzapfel
K2SMC Jerry Lebow
New Membership Form
CLICK FOR MEMBERSHIP APP AS PDF
- 10 New members
- 3 Pending online applications
- 7 Silent keys
- 98 Regular members
- 2 Associate members
- 24 Family members
- 2 Lifetime
- 126 Paid members
Good and Welfare
If you know of an amateur or their family dealing with health issues or may have lost someone, please let us know. Robert.K K3SUH is our go to person to send a communication in the form of a card to the person or family.
CLICK HERE to email details.
Our Scheduled Nets
COORDINATED NETS BEING REFORMED
We have modified the Voice Com NCS Script:
- Has been shortened
- Changed theme to technical support, projets, and announcements
The BRARA repeaters are located at the Social Security building in Boca Raton FL USA
NET DETAILS FOLLOW
8.00pm ET SEFL DMR Tech-Net – USE TG-311037
- BRARA 442.875+ CC-1 TS-2
- GCARA 443.350+ CC-11 TS-1
- WELLINGTON ARA 145.19(-) CC-2 TS-1
7.00pm ET Voice Com Net
- BRARA analog 145.29- PL110.9
7.30pm ET DMR BrainWaves Not-A-Net – USE TG-311037
- BRARA 442.875+ CC-1 TS-2
- GCARA 443.350+ CC-11 TS-1
- WELLINGTON 145.19(-) CC-2 TS-1
8.00pm ET SoCounty NBEMS Net
- BRARA analog 145.29- PL110.9 (uses FLDigi and FLMsg)
Other Local Analog Repeater Nets
- Daily 6.00 pm SEFL Traffic 146.61 MHz
- Tue 7.30pm CERT Plan-B 145.29- PL110.9
- 144.390 APRS Repeater (NOW ACTIVE)
- 145.070 Packet Repeater (OFF LINE)
- GPS Location: 26.39724 –80.09485
Please use 3102 on your pi-star or any replated hotspot.
Local DMR Repeaters
CLICK FOR REPEATER LIST
Scheduled DMR Nets
CLICK FOR DMR NETS
- Sun 8.00 pm TG-3110037 SeFL DMR Tech Net
- Mon 7.30 pm TG-311037 BrainWaves Net
- Wed 9.00 pm TG-3 NA Tech Net
- Thu 8.20pm TG-31777 NotQuiteRight Net
- Sat 12.00 noon TG-1 WW
- Sat 8.00 pm TG-310035 GCARC KnowItAll Net
BRARA Open House
We meet every Wednesday and Saturday morning between 10:00 and 13:00 ET for our Open House, and for any work that needs to be done at the Shack. Anyone interested in exploring Amateur Radio is encouraged to stop in for a visit.
Thanks for all who submitted articles and I hope you continue to do so. We’re also looking for new writers as well. Here are some guidelines for article submissions.
- Text should be in MS Word or equivalent, saved as a .DOC file
- Write your best stuff, but don’t sweat the grammar. That’s why there’s an editor.
- Please submit pictures/illustrations as separate files, don’t embed them in the text.
- Be sure to submit clear, in-focus photos
Club Ham Shack
West Delray Regional Park
10875 West Atlantic Avenue
Delray Beach, FL 33446
Board of Directors Scheduled Meetings
We hold scheduled monthly Board meetings at 12:00 Noon at the Shack on the Sunday preceding the next General Meeting.
Donations and Contributions
Contributions to BRARA— a 501(c)(3) organization—are tax deductible as charitable donations. As you complete your membership renewal or begin your year-end tax planning, please consider making a donation to BRARA.
Please donate to BRARA via Amazon Smiles:
Search for: Boca Raton Amateur Radio Association
Planned Giving: Please also consider BRARA when updating or initiating planned giving (including charitable gift annuities, bequests and gifts or retirement plan assets) and other assets.
For More Information
Website: www.brara.org Twitter: BRARA@N4BRF Instagram: #BRARA_N4BRF
Facebook: CLICK VIEW FACEBOOK
Please be advised that the above are the official BRARA social media sites. No other social media sites are recognized by BRARA.
Got an idea for an article? Or constructive critique? Want to share club news and events? How about writing a short 30-minute project idea? Your submissions to the Radio Flyer are needed to help keep this one of the best club newsletters in South Florida.
Please send articles to BRARA@BRARA.org
Ham Shack Access Rules
To obtain a key to the BRARA Ham Shack you must be a member in good standing for a minimum of one continuous year, hold a valid FCC Amateur Radio License, and complete a short training session with one of the Club officers.
the Radio Flyer
P.O. Box 480162
Delray Beach, FL 33448-0162
Copyright and Protection
Copyright © 2019 Boca Raton Amateur Radio Association (BRARA).
Reproduction of material from any BRARA web page without written permission is prohibited.
Regards and 73 from The Shack