Posted in: Board Minutes

Board Meeting 31-Oct-2020

Date: Saturday 31-October 2020   Location: via Zoom   Start Time: 12.10 pm

Attendance:  Bruce KO4XL, George WA2VNV, Patrick KE4OBV, Jeff.S K4BH, Jeff.R W4AEQ, Bonnie KC2JSV, Michael.G K8BQ,   Ralph W1DAR, Art WA8VSJ, John N1QFH

The following items were discussed and actions assigned:


This was a virtual meeting using Zoom.


The board discussed action items and updates. Goal is to warp up these memorials by year end. John did connect with new Lifetime members on their new membership status. This will be followed up with documentation. Quotes for plaques are coming and John will send to Bruce. Frames will be purchases locally. Bruce will announce at next General Member meeting.

ACTION: John.C will connect with Frank London’s family for a profile picture.

ACTION: John.C will send plaque supplier quote and samples to Bruce

ACTION: Bruce will continue with ARRL brick research and costs

ACTION: Bruce and John.C will collect silent key details and pictures


Bruce updated board on status. George mentioned burst of activity has slowed with real questions.

ACTION: Bruce will continue to manage

ACTION: As needed Bruce will request members set display name and CALLSIGN


The Shack remains closed. Board regularly reviews the COVID status. Walt said PBC parks have cut back on maintenance activity. They will not be spraying for weeds.

ACTION: John.C will replace filter about December 2020 and pursue getting a HEPA  / MERV-13 filter

ACTION: John.C will take picture of filter and send to Bruce; will rotate antennas weekly and periodically oil cable and drum; will use weed killer as needed.

ACTION: John.C will spray the weeds inside the Shark yard since it has become overgrown


Winter Field Day event will occur just like the this past June Field Day. Individual stations will operation from a station of their choosing are encouraged to submit results affiliated with BRARA. More details on the event will be announced.

ACTION: Bruce will present member inter-club results

ACTION: John will setup communication plans to members like was done for summer field day


Board reviewed status of PayPal and Lifetime members based on recent silent key motions. All new members since 1-July have received communication on membership status for 2020 and 2021. Each Board member shall be sent any emails to Discussed who is not receiving MailChimp and plans to reach-out to folks not opening emails as non-MailChimp email.

ACTION: John.C will send to Bruce Lifetime letter and certificate.

ACTION: Bruce will edit Lifetime letter and certificate.

ACTION: John.C will set go to officers.

ACTION: Bruce and John.C will review how to incorporate CALLSIGN into PayPal

ACTION: Bruce to create secondary logon

ACTION: Bruce to generate PayPal report for Patrick

ACTION: Bruce will transfer PayPal fund to bank


No updates. We have to reach out to Jerry for updates.

ACTION: Art, Lew, and Jerry will relocate dish on 2m or 70cm antenna

ACTION: Jerry to determine when the dish relocation can occur and advise Art, George and Lew

ACTION: Jerry to review with FAU who can be a partner /contact


Reviewed status which had no change.


John.C updated board on packet repeater recovery plans. Need to get packet station cabinet key from Lew.

ACTION: Bruce to connect with Lew to update our DMR repeater details on database

ACTION: John.C will manage Boca Hospital repeater recovery

ACTION: Art and Lew to continue site repairs


George updated board on rotors and said there was no need to rehab, just need lubrication.

ACTION: Satellite team look into refurbishing rotors

ACTION: Relocate fan-dipole antenna that may block the satellite system


ACTION: Bruce will send letter when full services restored


Board reviewed status. John read letter from Walt W4WCD on PBC Park response pursuing an AED.

ACTION: Bruce will continue linkage with Life Safety Solutions for AED.

ACTION: John will forward Walt’s email from PBC Park to


ACTION: Bruce will pursue alternate badge suppliers

(check with

ACTION: Patrick will check his record for those who paid for badges and shirts


Jeff.S is setting up CERT Team Tech Class Zoom training and explained how the class will roll out. BRARA may leverage this class for anyone so desiring to attend. Jeff.S said there may need more VE’s to help with the in-person testing in Miramar, FL. The classes will be recorded. We discussed how BRARA may do remote testing and Bruce will research with time frames for testing.

ACTION: Jeff.S will send Tech Class flyer to John.C

ACTION: John.C will add Tech Class details from Jeff on BRARA and GCARA

ACTION: Bruce will research how to do remote testing with Grant

ACTION: Jay, Jeff.R, Roger, Al to define DMR curriculum

ACTION: Bruce will define logistics for  licensing classes

ACTION: Bruce will connect with Jerry.Z on testing plans


Board will work to make welfare calls status. Bruce reviewed his plans on board elections. Board discussed member privileges and benefits for flyer. Board discussed status of flyer. Bonnie and Mike.G stated they are comfortable with new tasks. John updated board on the renewal reminders and communications. 2021 grace period is 1-JAN-2021 to 31-March-2021.

ACTION: John make Legacy website inside the current WordPress footprint

ACTION: John will send 2021 renewal reminders with benefits of membership

ACTION: Bruce will update members on voting and elections plans

ACTION: John.C will connect with Jeff.R on flyer status.

ACTION: John.C and Michael K8BQ will continue knowledge exchange

ACTION: Patrick and Bonnie to continue knowledge exchange

ACTION: Board will continue member good and welfare checks

ACTION: Bruce will send to John.C list of member privilege

ACTION: John.C will send renewal reminder for 2021

ACTION: John.C will post Census and MailChimp list to Google drive

ACTION: Board will send list of BRARA accomplishments to Bruce

ACTION: Bruce will review minutes and feedback for list of accomplishments


Bruce, Mike, and John updated board on Zoom auction and item pickup status. George suggested adding some left-over items go on eBay and Jeff.S said we should use Ham-Helpers to left-over items. BRARA may want to do another Zoom Auction on a regular basis. Here’s some statistics on our donated items:

  • Number of bids: 156
  • Donated items: 26
  • New owners: 10
  • Duration of auction: 2 hours 41 min
  • Donated amount: $757.00

ACTION: John will reorg space at shack given freed-up space

ACTION: Jay will continue reviving laptops and desktops

ACTION: Bruce to get drive and rail kit for Jay to install in desktop

ACTION: Jay and John.C to access CPU and displays to KEEP

ACTION: Jay, Bruce, Mike.G and John.C to hold Zoom Auction


Board discussed doing ad hoc Zoom meetings to fill in place of Wednesdays and Saturdays.

ACTION: John.C will send AC filter size to Bruce

ACTION: Jerry to re-key storage room locks and distribute

ACTION: Jeff.R and Bruce to coordinate training and re-keying shack and gate

ACTION: John.C to install di-pole lightening protectors

ACTION: Jeff.R will change shack door combination


  • Satellite System
  • Repair Ameritron HF Amplifier
  • Acquire AED for The Shack
  • IP FAU-to-Shack
  • Relocate FAU dish at repeater site


We have a few others lined up for 2021.

November: Pablo KK4YG on “Digital APRS / SMS”

December: Norm Fusaro, W3IZ ARRL Director of Operations on “ARRL Direction”

January: Matthew KO4DJG on micro-processors used to connect radios and other devices


John discussed the value of the Newsletter and Weekly Updates. John would like every board member to be trained in WordPress to post to our BLOG,

ACTION: John.C will merge Newsletter with Weekly Updates

ACTION: John.C will schedule Feb 2021 for 1-1 training for board on how to use WordPress

ACTION: Bruce will continue addressing refrigerator repair

Next Board Zoom meetings:

    • Mid-month: Wednesday 6.00 pm  11-November-2020
    • Agenda: Saturday 12.00 pm   28-November-2020

Adjourn: Motion by Jeff.S and 2nd by George adjourn at 1.59 pm and zoom ended

Respectfully submitted

John Cole N1QFH / Secretary