Posted in: Admin, Board Minutes, Minutes

Board Meeting 10-FEB-2021

Date: Wednesday-10-Feb-2021   Location: via Zoom   

Directors and Officers Present:  Bruce KO4XL,  Jay S. N2ELG, Bonnie KC2JVS, Michael.G K8BQ,  Jeff.S K4BH, Lou K4LA,  Ralph W1DAR,  John N1QFH. Member Present: Grant W4KEK

Bruce called the meeting to order at 6:05 pm local.

The following items were discussed and actions assigned:


This was a virtual meeting using Zoom. General BOD business was discussed

Mike Siegel (SK)

     ACTION: Mike and Bruce to put together a certificate and letter conferring BRARA life membership on Elaine Siegel

Previous BOD Minutes

Motion to accept minutes from January 30 BOD meeting was made by Jeff S. and seconded by John C. Motion was carried

Financial Business

     ACTION: Bonnie needs to be set up with PNC Bank at Clint Moore

     ACTION: Bruce needs to update Sunbiz with new officers

    ACTION: Bruce to download PNC statements to forward to Lou and Ralph.

  REPORT: Bonnie has been set up as a user on PayPal

ACTION: John, Bonnie, and Bruce need to get together to create a PayPal button on our website.


No activity

ACTION: John.C and Bruce will finalize and purchase plaques.

ACTION: Bruce will continue with certificate, ARRL brick, ARRL on hold

ACTION: John.C will collect silent key details and pictures


Bruce updated board on status and activity.

ACTION: Bruce will continue to manage

Email Tools

REPORT: The club has been grandfathered to allow two seats on MailChimp for our non-paying subscription.  A paid subscription would run $52 a month for 5 seats. We could also look at Constant Contact instead.

ACTION: John and Mike should compare the two and develop a recommendation.


The Shack remains closed. Board regularly reviews the COVID status.

          REPORT: Reopening committee chaired by Lou has drafted an indemnification agreement and release form for not just Covid, but other hazards present at the shack such as high voltage. Jeff submitted his views to the committee related to medical issues related to Covid.

 ACTION: Bruce recommended that the committee look at how we would present this to the club at a general meeting in a way that would be positive.

ACTION: John.C will examine filter.  He has checked the filter

ACTION: Bruce will pursue HEPA filter when shack opens

ACTION: John.C will rotate antennas, oil cable, spray the weeds. He has been following up with this


Waiting on member submissions

ACTION: Bruce will manage intra-club challenge.

         ACTION:  Board will need to find someone besides John to take the lead on both FD and WFD going forward. It was suggested that Grant W4KEK or Myles N4EHG be approached about this


Mike presented the status of payment and renewal activity.

ACTION: Mike to create a targeted renewal email for those who haven’t renewed yet.

DMR MICROWAVE PROJECT – No current activity

Board reviewed status and current plans.

ACTION: Art, Lew, and Jerry will relocate dish

ACTION: Jerry will address FAU and repeater IP to shack

ACTION: Bruce will check with Jerry on alternate plans

 REMOTE STATION – No current activity

Reviewed status – no change, is dependent on solid IP service to the shack.

 REPEATER STATUS – No current activity

BOD discussed possibility of packet/winlink node, plans, objectives.

ACTION: Bruce and Lew will  update DMR repeater details

ACTION: Art and Lew will continue site repairs as needed

ACTION: Bruce, Robert.E W1ENG, John to configure packet/winlink

 SATELLITE PROJECT – No current activity

ACTION: Relocate fan dipole antenna that may block the satellite system

1-YEAR MEMBERSHIP – No current activity

ACTION: Bruce will send letter when full services restored

AED UPDATE – No current activity

Discussed next steps and status.

ACTION: Bruce will continue linkage with Life Safety Solutions for AED.

 BADGES – No current activity

ACTION: Bruce will pursue alternate badge suppliers

(check with


Grant said that that he could help organize remote testing. It was recommended that he contact Jerry, W4BFL who is the club’s testing lead.

           ACTION: Bruce to propose dates for online classes

ACTION: Jay, Jeff.R, Roger, and Al to define DMR curriculum – On hold

ACTION: Bruce will define logistics for future classes – apparently will be Zoom for now


Discussed transition plans for new board, handling keys, and banking. New board needs to discuss role backups.

ACTION: Mike will take over from John sending targeted 2021 renewal reminders

ACTION: Jeff.S and Bruce will update flyer.

ACTION: Mike and Bonnie will need Shack and Gate keys

ACTION: Need to check legacy key inventory. – Information on who should have keys is on the legacy site per John C.

         ACTION: Officer’s and Director’s insurance. Bonnie to reach out to Patrick and the insurance company to see what is currently covered.

ACTION: Board will continue member good and welfare checks

          ACTION: Mike to draft a letter with the slate of officers for PNC Bank if needed.


A committee was created for the next auction. Chair Mike G, other members John C, Bruce, and Jay S. Date will be April 17.

ACTION:Auction committee to meet and start planning

ACTION: Jay will continue reviving laptops and desktops

THE SHACK (new items)

         ACTION: Jerry to re-key storage room locks and distribute – On hold

ACTION: Board to coordinate re-keying and station training – On hold

ACTION: John.C to install dipole lightning protector. – He has the device but needs to install a copper bar tied to the existing one.

ACTION: Board will change shack door combination – On hold

         ACTION: John C said that he would look through the shed a box at a time to see what is worth keeping and what may be used in the next auction.

         ACTION:  John C says that we need to declutter the VHF room

         ACTION: Need to vacuum out the place – will delay major shack clean up until closer to reopening

         ACTION: Start thinking about Radiator Grill to be held in Fall 2021

PROJECTS – Currently on Hold

  • Conduit outside building. Gap exposing wires, rusty outlets. Replace with outdoor conduit after some get their Covid shots
  • Satellite System
  • Repair Ameritron HF Amplifier
  • Acquire AED for The Shack
  • IP FAU-to-Shack
  • Relocate FAU dish at repeater site
  • Cross connect matrix switch


We have a couple of others possible for 2021. Ralph needs to confirm. Looking for a presentation on a stealth antenna.

          March: Joe Carcia NJ1Q from ARRL on W1AW


ACTION: John.C is setting up 6 sessions of WordPress training via Zoom. Bruce, Mike, and Bonnie to attend. Probably will slip to March or April

ACTION: Bruce will continue addressing refrigerator repair when able

Next BOD Zoom meetings:

    • BOD meeting dates:
      • 27-February-2021 10 am general meeting planning and board business
      • 10-March-2021 6 pm board business

New Business:

John C told the Board that someone left the shack temperature set at 90 and the lights on.  He corrected the situation.

John C reported the lock on the County gate is hard to open. He will let Walt know that it needs to be replaced or repaired.

John requested that the club purchase an addon for WordPress for a $50 one time cost.  This will be useful to all our WordPress users.  He was told to go ahead.

Someone contacted Bruce about a tower that was available for purchase and asked us to let our members know about it. It was decided to post it on and tell him to also look at Ham Helpers

Adjourn: Motion by Ralph and seconded by Lou  adjourned at 6:52 pm and Zoom ended.

Respectfully submitted

Mike Greenfeld K8BQ/ Secretary